4/03/2007

Can I just share something with you all, dear friends? I have a real problem with indecision in human beings. I’m not really sure what it is, but I seem to be encountering it more and more as of late. It’s frustrating to say the least. More than that, it’s downright disappointing.

I don’t mean to get all hard-assed over here, but the fact of the matter is that we as human beings have decisions to make in life, both large and small. Some that affect us alone, some that affect others and not us, and some that overlap.

I won’t go into the specific details of how, when or where I was faced with these challenges. It’s not worth wasting precious typing time, to be truthful. Let’s just say it’s been more frequent than I’d care to deal with.

This is my outlook: indecision equals a lack of concern. For example: “What do you want to do tonight?” “I don’t care.”

That’s indecision in perhaps the purest form you could encounter. Maybe it’s me, but that’s how it sounds when someone can’t make up their mind. To me, it sounds like the issue at hand doesn’t matter to the other individual. For whatever it’s worth, that’s my take.

And it’s agonizing. Now in the above example, indecision might not necessarily be a bad thing. The subconscious addendum to the second party’s response could possibly be interpreted as, “I don’t care so long as I’m spending time with you (all).” In which case, it’s far from a negative allusion.

I wish that were the case in most circumstances. Unfortunately, the inability to make decisions and stick to them can be an irritant to others. Particularly myself, I suppose.

There are just instances where I feel someone’s lack of care and willingness to make the call equals out to a waste of my time, and you’d better believe that’s frustrating as all hell.

What’s worse are the people who simple go along with this mind-numbingly void attitude. I’m not saying everyone has to be a leader in certain matters, but by God, nothing is more agonizing than a group of lemmings tailing behind the most recent person’s comments.

Folks, let me put it to you this way: followers are toolkits. Depending on the idiom, I really believe that there is a time not to be a leader. But when you’re not a leader, I believe you should at the very least be an attentive student/listener. At least that’s the case in my experience. But one who just idly breezes by is just sad.

Now do I have a twisted sense of beliefs? I don’t think so. I’ve just found lately that I have little tolerance for fence-sitters. Because to me, it means you don’t care. And in some cases, that’s fine. But if you don’t care, then please, don’t be so eager to offer your two cents. I think it’s great that we all have a voice and the forum with which to share it. That said, if there’s nothing to share, then there’s no reason to pipe up. Some people just love to hear the sound of their own voice, even when they bring nothing to the table.

Perhaps I’m being a bit of a curmudgeon about it, and there’s merit to that, no doubt. I’ve come to realize I hold other folks to a pretty high standard, but at the end of the day it’s nothing less than I’d request of myself. And I don’t think it’s asking too much for people to nut up or shut up.

To me, this really loops in with my post at the onset of the New Year regarding change. It doesn’t really surprise me that those who are unable to make firm decisions, be they grand or minute, are typically the same people who are unable to initiate change for themselves. We really are living in an age of rapid growth, and I guess I just feel that as individuals, it’s essential for us to grow. It should come as no surprise then that I just happened to allude to the Samurai principle of seven breaths in that post. Go back and check it out. Nothing wrong with hitting up the buffet table for seconds, y’know.

So when I deal with people who can’t or won’t take a stance, be it good or bad, I really feel like I’m looking at lost opportunity and wasted talent.

As trite (and unapologetically geeky) as it sounds, my memory hearkens back to The Karate Kid. Something Mr. Miyagi said to Daniel really sticks out. Upon the first day of his protégé’s training, Miyagi asked Daniel if he was ready to begin. Daniel’s simple response was, “I guess so.”

Miyagi then said: “Walk on road, hmm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later, *pwch!* Get squish just like grape. Here, karate same thing. You karate do ‘yes,’ OK. You karate do ‘no,’ OK. You karate do ‘guess so,’ *pwch!* Just like grape. Understand?”

Yes Sensei.

And for the record, dorktacular as my 80’s movie reference is, this is from back in the day before movies with the elderly inspirational teacher were cliché. So that line holds some water, true believer.

I digress. Cheesy as that reference is, I do believe there’s value to it. I see no point in strolling in the middle of the road, and for me, there is no “guess so.” Unfortunately, I’m very aware of the fact that the world does not navigate on my map, so there’s little I can do to change that course.

Aside from bitch here. That makes me happy.

Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweep the leg Johnny. Do you have a problem with that?

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Rick! This is something which raises it's head in my life often. If you asked me who I am I would tell you that I am actually quite shy, I have known myself (because I don't tell others) to literally throw up after having to do any public speaking, I find the silence caused by people listening to you to be quite scary (it's true) HOWEVER I have often been described as 'strong' and 'a leader' or 'opinionated' simply because I express my beliefs and encourage others to do so.
I refuse to believe that anyone when asked or prompted by circumstance, does not assess, analyse and come up with some opinion or other in their own heads. Sure, some people will take longer than others, everyone will have different criteria the issue will be run past but everyone will have some private opinion. So why not express that - especially when asked? Because of my background, it actually takes me quite a bit of preparation, I have to take a deep breath and hold off genuine anxiety responses but I feel that to do otherwise would be a kind of lying and render me non-existant.

You are right, Rick, fence-sitting does show a lack of care - not just for the issue at hand but for the people around them. Let's take the mild but common issue of the "I don't mind what we do"-person. This person either really doesn't give a damn (in which case, seriously, go home) or presumably thinks they are somehow being polite but here's my point of view on that. When one of a group refuses to suggest what they would like to do they only make things more difficult for those of us who aren't narcissists (and I admit there are lots of those.) You see, I don't want to just drag everyone off to whatever I want to do - that would make me feel guilty and ruin my night. I want everyone in my company to have a good time and if they won't express or suggest what would make them happy how is that supposed to happen - mind reading?

Beyond the "what shall we do tonight?" staying silent on issues that matter even slightly to you is not only dishonest but can be dangerous. The apathy which abounds today is the exact opposite of the vigilance that is required to maintain a healthy society and, call me an extremist, but you have to ask how bad it would have to get before the "I don't mind"-ers took a stand on an important matter. Everything we do is a choice , even doing nothing, and every choice is practice for the big moments. Like you, I have been accused of having high standards but as ling as I hold myself to them, too, that's not a bad thing. Resetting the bar so we don't think of ourselves as having failed is just lying to ourselves some more and won't get us anywhere.

LOL is this too long for a comment? Can you tell I'm procrasinating? (see, I make bad choices, too lol)
Back to the keyboard ^_^