12/11/2005

And then, there was but one.

I was in the midst of writing a fairly lengthy, Zen post when I found out that yet another of my longtime heroes died. It always saddens me deeply when people in the public eye that I truly admire pass away, particularly because there are very few individuals who fit that bill in full. Yet over the last few years, I’ve seen more and more of them buy the big ticket (Johnny Cash, Eddie Guerrero, etc.). It’s rare for me to see someone that has the ubiquitous “celebrity” sticker attached to their person that I genuinely respect… most of them were long gone before I was born (Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X… I was only three weeks old when John Lennon was killed, so I guess he doesn’t count, but you get the idea), so it’s always a letdown when one of the few that are still standing bids us sweet ado.

The two most beautiful words in comedy passed away yesterday, leaving behind a history that is certain to be completely unique, irreplaceable, and will never be replicated by any other comedian, black or white. The opening line of this post is in reference to a comment Jon Stewart made several years ago when hosting an HBO special honoring George Carlin (who, as you probably know, is another of these rare heroes to me). Stewart alluded to the Comedian’s Holy Trinity: George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, and Richard Pryor. Lenny died a long time ago, and now Rich is gone, too. Carlin is the last one standing.

One of the reasons that I respected Pryor as much as I did was that despite his battle with multiple sclerosis, he still did stand-up on occasion. Despite the pain that permeated his existence on a daily basis, he stuck by his convictions and what he believed in… so much so to the point where he was still somewhat active in the stand-up community.

But the infinitely greater reason that I admired him so much is basically the same reason I respect the other two gods in the Holy Trinity: he thumbed his nose at conformity and challenged all precepts of what should be. Pryor was the “Anti-Cosby.” While Bill was up there talking about his kids and Fat Albert decades before pushing pudding pops down Theo’s throat, Pryor was spewing it like he saw it about race relations in the world and the way things really were. Race, drugs, sex, nothing was off-color to him. Bruce set the tone for challenging authority in the world of comedy, and Carlin and Pryor each took that fundamental groundwork and ran with it, putting their individual spins on it.

In doing so, they each set the stage for comedians to follow. While there is certainly overlap in their influence throughout the stand-up world, there are many cases where you can directly link their work to present-day comics. Carlin managed to open the floodgates for raunchy, sociopolitical comics like Stewart, Dennis Miller and Lewis Black. Pryor, needless to say, broke ground for the African-American comics, and I think anyone would say that without hesitation. Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, all have cited Pryor as their primary influence, and it’s easy to see why. He said what others were thinking, but scared to speak on.

Challenge the norm. Set the precedent. Thumb your nose at authority.

That soon became the mantra for comics from all walks of life. But Pryor’s accomplishments as a controversial black comic will likely never be replicated. Eddie Murphy has fallen into the cinematic hell that is kid-friendly family films, Chris Rock has gained too much mainstream success to be as influential as his hero, and Dave Chappelle has, in many ways, opted for a more personally enriching existence as opposed to playing off of the success of his show. I hate saying that, because each of these individuals is tremendously funny under the right circumstances. But none of them are Richard Pryor, plain and simple.

It came as no surprise to me that when Comedy Central listed their top 100 stand-up comics last year (one of the few top 100 lists I was not only able to watch and stomach, but actually enjoy thoroughly), numbers one, two and three were Pryor, Carlin and Bruce. It almost seemed academic in some ways (kinda like listing the Beatles as number one on the top 100 bands ever), but it was also the most accurate top tier you could envision. Those three have demolished so many glass ceilings, they have made life almost too easy for comics today. The comment was made by many of the comics on the panel that they are spoiled, simply because they don’t have to endure the kind of controversy and blackballing that the Trinity did. Particularly Pryor.

And I love a lot of the comics that are out there right now. I think Dane Cook is fast becoming the best stand-up out there. I have always loved guys like Lewis Black and Dave Attell. But there will never be three finer comics like the Trinity, nor will there be any more influential individuals than they. In a way, it makes be sad, because it is now painfully obvious that there’s not much more that can be done in terms of originality or groundbreaking stand-up. But at the same time, while I can listen to Harmful If Swallowed or Retaliation and adore it, I will always gravitate back toward stuff like Was It Something I Said? and SuperNigger. And I will walk away from those albums and stuff like Carlin’s Class Clown and AM/FM with a greater sense of satisfaction and appreciation for what a true art form stand-up comedy really is.

Sometimes you just know when you come across greatness. And it makes me sad that greatness has just left us. The ripple effect that stems from Pryor's work is simply immeasureable, and besides that, he was just so Goddamn hilarious. Almost makes me want to sit through Superman III just for his lines. Almost.

A few years back, there was a tribute to Rich entitled I Ain’t Dead Yet, Motherfucker! I’m still not convinced he is.

Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow.

No comments: