2/04/2004

I am not a shill.

I may be getting my MBA in marketing, but I don’t like to use this blog as a podium to shill things I like. I am quite content to allow everyone to form their own opinion of what is good and what is not. So think of my meager opinions as recommendations.

To quote Captain Barbosa from Pirates of the Caribbean, they are, “more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules.”

However, for once, I am telling everyone here, I have found something that everyone can enjoy. Something that everyone can appreciate. Something that every single carbon-based life form with a shred of intelligence and a pulse can love.

The Nerds.

This past Friday was, for me, a pre-Super Bowl religious experience. Y’see, there’s a hot joint in New Haven called Toad’s, maybe you’ve heard of it. Every few months, they play host to perhaps the most hilarious cover band I’ve ever seen. The Nerds. These cats come out wearing horn-rimmed glasses and covering everything from Poison to DMX. And lemme tell ya, they do every song dead on. They are without a doubt the greatest cover band I have ever seen, and the humor is just so key with them. Here’s a list of some of the songs they played:

- Guns N’ Roses, “Sweet Child O’ Mine”
- AC/DC – “Back In Black”
- AC/DC – “You Shook Me All Night Long”
- Bon Jovi – “Wanted Dead Or Alive”
- Kenny Loggins – “Footloose”
- Outkast – “Hey Ya!”
- Jet – “Are You Gonna Be My Girl
- Metallica – “Enter Sandman”
- Aerosmith – “Walk This Way”
- Eminem – “Lose Yourself”
- Journey – “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)”
- Charlie Daniels – “The Devil Went Down To Georgia”
- Blink-182 – “All The Small Things”
- Lit – “Worst Enemy”
- Queen – “Bohemian Rhapsody”
- Led Zeppelin – “Heartbreaker”
- Faith No More – “Epic”
- Rage Against The Machine – “Killing In The Name”
- The Four Seasons – “December 1963 (Oh What A Night)”
- Def Leppard – “Pour Some Sugar On Me”
- DMX - “Party Up”
- Poison – “Talk Dirty To Me”
- Cream – “Sunshine Of Your Love”
- Tom Jones – “It’s Not Unusual”
- Ozzy Osbourne – “Crazy Train”
- Don McLean – “American Pie

And believe it or not, all that is just the tip of the iceberg. They played two sets for a grand total of more than three hours. Truly a sight to behold.

You can visit them here and download a few samples. You can also check their schedule to see when they’re coming to your neighborhood.

And when they do come to your neighborhood, you’d better go see them. Because every time you don’t see the Nerds when they come to your neighborhood, I’ll club a baby seal. You wouldn’t want that, would you?

And before I go, the Internet community is currently bound to mention Janet Jackson once every hour, so I’m doing my bit now.

Goodnight, and have a pleasant Janet Jackson.

No comments: